Inspired by The Real Housewife of Caroline County, I’m participating in #AskAwayFriday, where two bloggers exchange questions to get all up in each other’s business. I’m swapping [spit. No, wait, um never mind] with Jennifer.
Look at her face, y’all. That is friendship bliss, right there. Get you some.
Go read Jennifer’s answers to the questions I asked her, here.
1) Why did you name your blog What Now and Why? I started my blog in 2008 after realizing that waiting for someone to pay me to write wasn’t going to happen as quickly as I wanted or needed. I figured I could write every day on whatever topic I wanted. The title explains how I was feeling at that moment, like there was always going to be something happening, usually marginally bad. But why?
2) Where did you meet your husband? October 1993, we both worked retail, opening a store in downtown DC. He started after I did, and was on the radar of every young woman in the place. And I mean every. One even said she had a date with him. I didn’t want to step on any toes because by then she and I were friends, but when she said she’d had to cancel? MINE.
3) Who was your childhood best friend, why, and are you still friends? Lanell and I met on the first day of kindergarten. We became friends when she explained that I needed to smooth my skirt down before sitting down rather than sitting with my Clifford the Big Red Dog Monday underwear right on the chair. We don’t speak often, but we are still friends, falling into an easy conversation style whenever we catch up.
4) What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be a teacher or a secretary. I’ve now experienced one and intend on paying attention to the careers my kids set their sights on. Dream big, I will tell them. I’d still like to teach at the college level, though.
5) What do you want to be now? I want to star in a Broadway show. I am so serious. Singing, dancing, acting.
6) Other than bills and saving and college for the kids, what is the first FUN thing you would do if you won the lottery? Vacation, absolutely. One with the kids, one without. (And then it would be supremely fun to send a check to Wells Fargo for my house).
7) Who is your current favorite author? I’m reading Jonathan Tropper’s This Is Where I Leave You and enjoying it immensely. But my favorite right now would have to be Liane Moriarty.
8) What song can you not help but dance to? Outside of virtually anything from the 80s, Pharrell’s Happy is on heavy rotation right now.
9) If money were no object, where would you travel to? Africa, France, Belize, and some obscure place I’d find by looking up remote spot featured on National Geographic. I would definitely go to Africa first because I need my oldest daughter to see the river she’s named after. It runs through Botswana and Tanzania.
10) What religion are you, if any? Did you grow up that way? I attended a Lutheran church growing up. I attend a Baptist church (semi regularly IT’S BEEN A MONTH OF SUNDAYS SINCE I’VE BEEN) now but I don’t subscribe to any particular religion fully. I believe in God or even just a higher being, but outside of that, I don’t like being told what to believe or how to dress to come to church or that I have to go every Sunday.
Consider joining #AskAwayFriday. I love finding out more about people, and this is a good way to do it. You know, being nosy without it having the label of nosy. Even though, yes, it’s still absolutely nosy.