Consistency

There are things I could be doing in my house that would make life easier, I know. I could do laundry more often (and actually put the clean things away rather than live out of baskets for the rest of the week). I could get tomorrow’s clothes for work together the night before. I could pack lunches for the following day, prepare dinner a few days ahead. I know these things and yet, I don’t do any of them regularly.

I’m changing that.

This is the usual state of the kitchen sink.

We have no dishwasher (other than our hands). But for the last week or so, I have been determined to keep the sink empty. I’m doing a pretty good job at it, too. I’ve given the girls more dish washing responsibility and that’s working out as well. No win is too small to go unmentioned. This is big for me, doing something I set out to do, sticking with it, acknowledging that it makes life easier.

I’ve given y’all fluff for the past few days primarily because I cannot think. I’m still reeling from the amount of pain wreaked upon my body from skating last weekend. Tonight has me on edge waiting for poll results. So, at some point in this week I’ll have something real to talk about. In the meantime, I washed the dishes.

Comments

Yes he did. I went to bed a little before 3 and still made it to work on Wednesday.

As for the dishwasher, I didn’t have one growing up. Neither did my husband. When we first moved in together in a tiny apartment we were floored that we had a dishwasher. And rarely used it. Some habits die hard.

Hahaaaa!!! You sound EXACTLY like me, except that I have yet to make the resolve to do things differently, so I’m still scrambling in the mornings to find something to wear and I still have piles of clothes on the bed and in chairs from which I choose my day’s outfit. I really need to shape up though. :) Kudos to you.

I had to actually sniff a shirt the other day because I couldn’t remember if a) it was clean or b) if I’d worn it recently (I usually don’t care about b). It smelled like bacon. It was a good day.

Funny. The state of the sink is one of those things that I need to do. I file all that stuff under “productive procrastination” – easier to do the laundry than to grade papers; easier to clean the kitchen and thus justify talking on the phone to my mom (well, that one worked better before it started costing a bazillion dollars a minute to make a phone call). Anyway. I started adding “put away your laundry” to my kids’ list of chores. It gets done pretty half-assedly – jammed in drawers, etc – but then when they complain that they can’t find anything, I get the satisfaction of the smug smile and “hmm…well…where’d you put it?” Priceless, that moment.

I do that to the middle girl. “Well, Zoe, I washed it. I folded it. I handed it to you to put away. Where’d you stuff it?” It does feel good, but sometimes the desire to do it right wins. That is rarely ever the case for the sink BUT I’M TRYING.